Thursday, August 28, 2008

I started Early-- Took my Dog

Emily Dickinson's poem, "I started Early-- Took my Dog", is a prime example of an allegorical poem. Through a system of related symbols, she transforms a walk to the sea, to an encounter with a man.

I started Early- Took my Dog
And visited the Sea-
The Mermaids in the Basement
Came out to look at me-

And Frigates- in the Upper Floor
Extended Hempen Hands-
Presuming Me to be a Mouse-
Aground- upon the Sands-

But no Man moved Me- till the Tide
Went past my simple Shoe-
And past my Apron- and my Belt
And past my Bodice-too-

And made as He would eat me up-
As wholly as a Dew
Upon a Dandelion's Sleeve-
And then- I started-too-

And He- He followed- close behind-
I felt His Silver Heel
Upon my Ankle- Then my Shoes
Would overflow with Pearl-

Until We met the Solid Town-
No One He seemed to know-
And bowling- with a Mighty look-
At me- The Sea withdrew-

No comments: